Preparing Yourself for Life in the IMSA Technology Environment
When a student enters the classroom they are expected to be capable of participating in class with regard to technical requirements and technical tasks to be completed. The “Recommended/Required Software Installs” and the “Scholarship Computer Loan Program” presented below address the issue(s) concerning a student having a computer that is capable of participating in class. The section called “Prepare Your Computer for Life at IMSA” addresses what a student needs to do to their computer to access all of the resources IMSA provides and the student may be required to access during their IMSA educational career.
An IMSA student also needs to be able to do the following:
- Access all IMSA resources available to them (requires their computer be registered with ITS and connect to the airIMSA wireless network – See “Prepare Your Computer for Life at IMSA” section)
- Connect/disconnect peripherals (USB, USB-C, or Bluetooth) to/from their personal computer
- Copy or move files to/from various storage mediums (hard drive, USB/Flash drive, network servers, Google Drive, etc.)
- Open and read Adobe PDF files
- Open, read, and write Microsoft Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Word files
- Upload/download documents to/from web-based resources or websites
- Install, launch, and uninstall applications/software on their personal computer
IMSA realizes that some families, due to financial challenges, may not be able to afford a computer that meets the minimum recommended computer requires. To assist these families, IMSA has created the Student Scholarship Computer Loan Program. This program is designed to provide a reliable and capable laptop computer to students of these financially challenged families. For families with financial challenges, review program information here.
(Chromebooks are NOT supported.)
** Not a supported operating system, instructions may not be available for all tasks. Prior experience is required.
- Required: Microsoft Office 365
- Recommended: Adobe Creative Cloud/Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Recommended: Audacity with LAME Module
- Recommended: PDF Creator – PDF Creation/Management Utility (Windows OS)
- Computer Science Class Requirements:
- Math Class Recommended:
- Peanut – Windows OS Only, Installation available on campus only
- Math/Science Class Recommended:
- Wolfram Mathematica, Installation available on campus only
- Science Class Requirement: Logger Pro